Tax & Accounting FAQ's

  • What are your fees? How much will it cost me to get my taxes done?


We offer competitively low rates to our clients within the industry, but pride ourselves on being able to provide higher level comprehensive investment and tax services to give you a complete financial plan. Your fees depend on many variables.  Our fee structure utilizes a block building structure based on the value of your tax return due to its complexity.  We also offer several discounts to our clients based on various factors, including bundled services and customer loyalty. For an estimate on the fees related to your specific needs, please call. 

Please visit the "Contact Us" page for all of our contact information. 

  • What should I bring in for my tax return?


You'll need to bring in any applicable tax forms related to any income you've received and any deductions you can include from the previous year. Some examples of necessary forms include: 

  • W-2 statements

  • K-1 statements

  • 1099 statements (miscellaneous, royalty, rent, dividend, or interest income)

  • Capital Gain & Loss Transactions (stock, land, business, partnership sales, etc.)

  • 1098 statements (mortgage interest, real estate taxes, tuition payments, or student loan interest payments)

  • Any information for dependents you are claiming (children, family under your care, etc.)

  • Any charitable giving (cash and non-cash) plus mileage associated with contributing to charity

  • Any out of pocket medical expenses (subject to 7.5% of A.G.I. requirement to be deductible)

For more information on what you should include with your taxes, please feel free to contact our office. 

  • How can I get your office my tax information? 

We accept a variety of ways to submit your tax information to us, depending on which is more convenient for you: 

  • Drop Off / Appointment - Stop by, say hello, and simply drop off your tax return to us or schedule an appointment to ask any additional questions with your drop off. 

  • Mail - If your schedule is to busy, or you're located out of town, simply mail your tax documents and organizer to us for processing and data entry. We will notify you upon receipt and keep you updated through its progress. 

  • Secure E-Mail - If you feel it more convenient to scan and submit an secured email to us, or you don't have as much information to enter in your return and it's just easier to email, please forward us a secured email (password protect and encrypted) and give us a call on how to access your files.  For questions on how to send a secure email, feel free to call us and we will walk you through the process. 

  • Regular E-Mail / Fax - For additional documents that you may have overlooked or received later than your initial submission to us, please feel free to just scan and email or fax us that information.  For our fax and email information, please visit the "Contact Us" page. 

  • How long does it take to complete my tax return?


This situation is different for every person, depending on the complexity of your return.  However, during tax season we stick to an average two-week turnaround process.  During that process, your tax return goes through the following steps:

  • Initial data entry

  • Request for any additional information to benefits to which you may be eligible but not aware

  • Submission to formal review process

  • Secondary request of information, if necessary. 

  • Preparation of recommended tax & investment strategies for the coming year

  • Pickup, payment, processing, and submission to the IRS. 


We provide much more than the typical national "tax factories" out there, and that dedication to your needs requires at least a two-week turnaround to ensure the personal attention you deserve. 

  • What's the difference in E-Filing and Mailing my return?


E-Filing is a faster, more convenient way to file your tax information to the IRS.  Simply put, you are sending an electronically encrypted data file (think high security email) to the IRS, allowing them to receive your tax information faster. We recommend that our clients E-File because of its simplicity and track record on getting a faster response form the IRS, meaning  any potential tax refund will get to you sooner on average. Lastly, E-Filing is free of charge to you versus paying for postage. ​

  • How do I get my tax refund? How long does it take? 


You can receive your refund by check or direct deposit from the IRS. 

  • Check: When you mail your return to the IRS, you'll generally receive your mailed refund check within 6 to 8 weeks. If you e-file your return, you should receive your refund check within 3 weeks.

  • Direct Deposit: e-file your return, and the IRS will deposit your refund in your bank account within 8 to 15 days. If you mail in your return, direct deposit generally takes 5 to 7 weeks.

  • What do I do if I'm audited by the IRS?


If you are being audited, Karen Freeman Consulting & Accounting is on your side. From the time you receive an IRS notice to when the audit is resolved, you can depend on our team to help you through it. We will assist you with any backup documentation you may need for the audit process.  Remember, however, to keep track of your own personal records as well for at least two years in order to stay prepared for any such occassion. ​

  • What other tax & accounting services do you provide? 


We are not just a tax firm.  We provide a number of additional services to our business and personal clients. Some of our services include: 


  • Texas Franchise Tax Preparation

  • Payroll Tax Preparation

  • Business Personal Property Tax Preparation

  • QuickBooks Setup, Support, and Bookkeeping services

  • Peachtree Setup and Support

  • Cash Flow, Budgeting, and Strategy Analysis

  • Computer Consultation

  • Business Retirement Plan Setup and Advisory Service

  • What are your fees for your additional services?

Our fees vary for each service and each individual circumstance, depending on the complexity of the process. Please feel free to call and setup an appointment to discuss the services specifically needed for you or your company. ​

For our contact information, please visit the "Contact Us" page. 

Connect With Us On LinkedIn:

  • LinkedIn Social Icon

Karen Freeman is a registered representative registered to transact business with clients in Texas, Louisiana, and New Mexico, is advisory licensed in the following states: Texas, and is also an insurance agent licensed in Texas.  If you are not a resident of the states noted above, all investment-related information on this site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a solicitation or offer to sell securities or insurance services over the internet.


Christi Hickman and Brantley Freeman are registered representatives registered to transact business with clients in TX. If you are not a resident of the states noted above, all investment-related information on this site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a solicitation or offer to sell securities or insurance services over the internet. 

*Securities offered through Avantax Wealth ManagementSM, Member: SIPC, Advisory Services offered through Avantax Wealth Management ServicesSM, 6333 North State Highway 161, Fourth Floor, Irving, TX 75038, 972-870-6000.

Investments & Insurance Products:
Are not insured by the FDIC or any federal government agency
Are not deposits of or guaranteed by the bank or any bank affiliate 

May lose Value

Karen Freeman, CPA, PLLC is not a registered broker/dealer or registered investment advisory firm.


Check the background of this investment professional on FINRA's BrokerCheck

Webmaster Login

Proud Member of:

Avantax Wealth Management Logo.png